To express your interest in attending this course, hit the contact button below to receive further course details from your course host, including how to pay and register your place. Please note that an enquiry does not confirm your place on the course.
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future, J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders
Terms and Conditions
Terms and conditions | Registrant cancellation:
- Up to 21 days prior to the course – NOI will refund the course fee less a $50.00 admin fee.
- Eight to 20 days prior to the start of the course – NOI will refund 50% of your course fee.
- Within seven days of the start of the course – no refund, however, your registration may be transferred to a colleague in which case they will need to submit their own registration form with contact and dietary details.
- In the event of NOI having to cancel the course due to unforeseen circumstances notification will be sent as soon as possible via your contact details provided and registrants will receive a full refund of the course fee.
- Course places are secured once payment has been successfully processed.
Language: English/Deutsch, Region: Europe
Courses: Mobilisation of the Nervous System, Explain Pain, Klinische Anwendungen: Obere Extremität, Thorax und HWS, Schmerzen Verstehen, Mobilisation des Nervensystems
Hugo Stam graduated from the School of Physiotherapy Leffelaaer, Amsterdam in 1981 and since then has mainly been working and living in Switzerland. He is currently the clinical supervisor at the RehaClinic in Zurzach where he has been practising since 1984 and also works as a private practitioner in Würenlingen.
In 1990 he became an accredited instructor of the Maitland Concept of Manipulative Physiotherapy and received membership of the International Maitland Teachers Association (IMTA). Since 1994 he has been a senior member of the IMTA teaching faculty.
His postgraduate training brought him to Australia, where he completed a Masters of Applied Science in Physiotherapy at the University of South Australia in 1994 where Hugo came into contact with NOI and has been a member of its teaching faculty since 1995.
His special fields of interest are frozen shoulder, neuropathic pain disorders and explaining the related clinical signs and symptoms to patients, in particular nerve root and carpal tunnel syndrome, and the use of ultrasound as a diagnostic instrument for peripheral-neurogenic disorders.
Alongside a busy professional life there is a happy little family and our fluffy dog Luna to keep life in balance. www.physiotherapie-wuerenlingen.ch
Neuro Orthopaedic Institute
19 North Street, Adelaide City West
South Australia 5000 Australia
ABN 61 064 209 981