In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind. Pre-reading the Explain Pain Second Edition book would also be beneficial.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future. J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders
Bob Johnson PT, MS, OCS
Language: English, Region: United States of America
Courses: Mobilisation of the Neuroimmune System, Explain Pain
Robert Johnson PT, DPT, OCS is Co-Owner of ACHIEVE Manual Physical Therapy in Chicago, IL. He is past –Chair of the Orthopedic Specialty Council of the ABPTS, serving on the committee for two consecutive terms from 1999-2007. He is a practicing clinician specializing in manual therapy, spinal dysfunction and pain management since graduating from Northwestern University in 1979. He is a former faculty member of Northwestern University Medical School. He is Senior lecturer for NOI US, teaching with David Butler/NOI in the area of neurobiology / pain science /clinical neurodynamics since 1999.
He teaches all NOI course offerings.He is also is a consultant with Karuna VR, promoting utilization of a virtual reality application for individuals with post-injury/post-surgical persistent pain. Bob continues to lead clinically relevant neuro-orthopedic/pain management seminars locally, nationally and internationally.
“Bob was a great instructor! He was engaging, passionate, realistic and non-judgemental”
Neuro Orthopaedic Institute
19 North Street, Adelaide City West
South Australia 5000 Australia
ABN 61 064 209 981