4 Online Sessions
Session 1: Monday, June 8, 6.00 pm – 9.00pm (PDT)
Session 2: Monday, June 15, 6.00 pm – 9.00pm (PDT)
Session 3: Monday, June 22, 6.00 pm – 9.00pm (PDT)
Session 4: Monday, June 29, 6.00 pm – 9.00pm (PDT)
Physical Therapists CEU’s: pending approval
Explain Pain Online – live and interactive
Prices inc. online sessions, workbook (hardcopy where possible)
Cancellation fees may apply – check details
- The course will be live and delivered via Zoom
- Class sizes are kept small to maximise interaction and time for questions
- NOI’s usual high quality
- Comprehensive teaching materials will be provided
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind. Pre-reading the Explain Pain Second Edition book would also be beneficial.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future.J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders
Terms and conditions | Registrant cancellation:
- Up to 21 days prior to the course – NOI will refund the course fee less a $50.00 admin fee.
- Eight to 20 days prior to the start of the course – NOI will refund 50% of your course fee.
- Within seven days of the start of the course – no refund, however, your registration may be transferred to a colleague in which case they will need to submit their own registration form with contact and dietary details.
- In the event of NOI having to cancel the course due to unforeseen circumstances notification will be sent as soon as possible via your contact details provided and registrants will receive a full refund of the course fee.
- Course places are secured once payment has been successfully processed.
Explain Pain Online, West Coast US *FULL* in on
Benjamin Boyd PT, DPTSc, OCS
Language: English, Region: United States of America
Courses: Graded Motor Imagery, EP Online 2020, EP Applications: clinical discussions, Explain Pain, Mobilisation of the Neuroimmune System
Ben is currently an Associate Professor at Samuel Merritt University in Oakland, California, where he primarily teaches in the Musculoskeletal Patient/Client Management and Capstone course series. He has been teaching courses on peripheral nervous system anatomy, biomechanics, clinical evaluation and intervention since 2004 and he joined the NOI US teaching faculty in 2013.
Ben originally graduated from the joint program at the University of California, San Francisco and San Francisco State University (UCSF/SFSU) with a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy in 2002, returning in 2008 to earn his Doctor of Physical Therapy Science degree. He has worked as an outpatient Physical Therapist in multiple practice settings within the San Francisco Bay Area, seeing patients with a variety of neuromusculoskeletal complaints. He is particularly interested in ongoing, persistent pain. He received certification as an Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist through the American Physical Therapy Association in 2008.
Ben’s research involves examination of the peripheral nervous system and intervention strategies for neuropathic pain, including the effects of Diabetes Mellitus on the mechanosensitivity of the nervous system and the impact on movement. His most recent research endeavour is leading a team exploring the influence of breast cancer treatments on the mechanosensitivity of the nervous system as well as alterations in body image and perception.
Ben grew up in the East Bay and continues to enjoy the rich diversity of cultures, foods, events, and outdoor recreational activities that the Bay Area has to offer.
“Great speaker, very knowledgeable about the course material and evidence-based on other areas. Was able to answer participants questions well.”
“Excellent, knowledgeable, experienced instructor who is very approachable and thoughtful when answering questions in the class. Great job!”
“Ben was a fantastic presenter. He was very personable and approachable, answering questions in a helpful and discussion based manner.”
“Ben is an excellent clinical educator. Really appreciated watching him work with the group and pitching things to various levels for the different participants. Great to see adult learning in action”
Neuro Orthopaedic Institute
19 North Street, Adelaide City West
South Australia 5000 Australia
ABN 61 064 209 981