To express your interest in attending this course, hit the contact button below to receive further course details from your course host, including how to pay and register your place. Please note that an enquiry does not confirm your place on the course.
Session 1: Friday 05 March 2021, 09.00 - 16.00 (CET)
Session 2: Friday 12 March 2021, 09.00 - 16.00 (CET)
Explain Pain Online – live and interactive
Prices inc. online sessions, workbook (hardcopy where possible)
Cancellation fees may apply – check details
- The course will be live and delivered via Zoom
- Class sizes are kept small to maximise interaction and time for questions
- NOI’s usual high quality
- Comprehensive teaching materials will be provided
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future, J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders
Terms and conditions | Registrant cancellation:
- Up to 21 days prior to the course – NOI will refund the course fee less a $50.00 admin fee.
- Eight to 20 days prior to the start of the course – NOI will refund 50% of your course fee.
- Within seven days of the start of the course – no refund, however, your registration may be transferred to a colleague in which case they will need to submit their own registration form with contact and dietary details.
- In the event of NOI having to cancel the course due to unforeseen circumstances notification will be sent as soon as possible via your contact details provided and registrants will receive a full refund of the course fee.
- Course places are secured once payment has been successfully processed.
Explain Pain Online, Europe in on
Language: English, Region: United Kingdom
Courses: Graded Motor Imagery-Italian, Mobilisation of the Neuroimmune System, Graded Motor Imagery Online Europe, Explain Pain Online Europe, Explain Pain, EP Online 2020, Graded Motor Imagery, Expliquer la Douleur
Based in London, Tim is a Principal NOI instructor, travelling globally to present courses and to consult on best practice in hospitals and clinics.
Tim is the lead physiotherapist and co-founder of Pain and Performance – an organisation with a special interest in the treatment and education of people suffering complex and persistent pain states. He is also is the co-owner of Le Pub Scientifique – a live learning organisation/partnership delivering informal events about pain, health and wellbeing in London and Amsterdam.
Tim has a Masters in Pain: Science and Society from King’s College London, has published book chapters and research on graded motor imagery and body perception, and has written and developed many postgraduate education courses for both Pain and Performance and NOI.
NOI Instructor Netherlands
Language: Dutch, Region: Netherlands
Courses: Explain Pain—Begrijp de Pijn, Explain Pain (Begrijp de Pijn) Online, EP Online 2020, Explain Pain Online Europe, Explain Pain Applications
Bart van Buchem
Bart lives in Haarlem where he works in private multidisciplinary practice (Praktijk Noorder Spaarne) and specialises in treating and supporting people with chronic pain. In 2010 Bart completed his Masters in Physiotherapy after which he developed a special interest in complex and persistent pain states. He is passionate about the benefits of pain education for both clinician and patient and he is currently involved in research at Erasmus MC in Rotterdam, working on the development of an Explain Pain curriculum for clinicians and patients. This research includes a RCT in an CBT + Explain Pain intervention in order to fit the Explain Pain heritage in the usual care program of a multidisciplinary pain centre. In the near future he will be enrolled in a Phd program in order to get Explain Pain methodology to a higher level and even more applicable for the clinicians. Bart teaches physiotherapy both at undergraduate and postgraduate level with a focus on pain topics and as a NOI teacher he teaches Explain Pain courses across the Netherlands.
Bart is responsible for founding the NOI Faculty in the Netherlands and together with Mark Langerhorst he translated the ‘Explain Pain’ text into Dutch.
Neuro Orthopaedic Institute
19 North Street, Adelaide City West
South Australia 5000 Australia
ABN 61 064 209 981